A Kentucky gambier who lost more than $40 million after he lost the lottery to a Las Vegas casino is suing the casino and the state of Kentucky for millions of dollars.
The suit filed Wednesday in federal court in Kentucky alleges that in April 2016, David K. Pritchard, a Kentucky resident, lost $3.9 million in a winning jackpot from the $4.5 million jackpot he won when he won the jackpot at the Mirage casino in Las Vegas.
The lawsuit seeks a declaratory judgment, which means it’s possible that a judge will rule in favor of the casino, said Mark B. Smith, a lawyer for the Kentucky Lottery.
Smith said the casino will be paid by the Kentucky State Treasurer and other creditors.
The casino’s lawyers could not immediately be reached for comment.
Prisons attorney Kevin Grier said the lawsuit was the first in Kentucky since the state enacted new lottery laws in 2015, including an automatic lottery payout, which is supposed to eliminate the incentive for casinos to jackpot more.
Priesen and his family have owned a small Kentucky winery for years, which they sold last year for about $1.2 million.
Pregnant woman who lost out on $30,000 win to Vegas casino in 2017 is seeking more rights article In March 2017, Prieson and his wife, a nurse, had just given birth to their first child, a daughter, when they received a phone call from the Kentucky Department of Correction saying they had won a lottery ticket.
“They said, ‘Congratulations, you won a $30 million lottery ticket,'” Priesan said.
Priedan, a veteran who had worked in a medical facility, said he and his fiancee drove to the casino to see if they could claim their winnings.
They drove about 100 miles to the Mirage, where the winning jackpots were announced.
Prysons family paid a $1,500 fee to the lottery company, but the money was immediately refunded, according to court records.
The couple said the winnings were not refunded until two days after they received their win.
They returned to the hotel with their $30.4 million ticket and were told the money would be refunded to them on Oct. 11, court records show.
The Priesons said the money never arrived.
Prianers family filed a lawsuit against the lottery, and the case is now before U.S. District Court Judge Robert S. Brown.
“The Prieses were in the process of being married and had two children,” Smith said.
The two families have been together since 2013, and they live together in an upscale home in Kentucky.
They are still married, but they live in separate households, according and the lawsuit.
Smith added that the family has not yet been told how much money Priesens winnings have gone toward paying medical bills.
Priansen and Priesans children live with them.
“We are grateful for the great things that have come from this lottery,” Priessons family wrote in a statement.
“But we are not happy and are concerned about the lack of transparency that has been created by this lottery system.
We believe the system is flawed and needs to be improved.”
Priesson said the lottery system is rigged and he and Prysans family plan to appeal to the U.s.
Prites family said the family plans to seek justice through the American Civil Liberties Union and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is also representing Priesnts family.
The family said in a written statement that it believes that the lottery was “unfairly and unjustly used to reward certain individuals.”